HBase Installation Guide
- Install Java 1.6+ version.
- Install latest Apache stable build.
- Download HBase stable version.
Download the stable version of HBase. In our case it is HBase 0.94.16.
- Execute following command to download HBase 0.94.16
- Unzip the compressed hbase file by executing the following command:
tar –xvzf hbase-0.94.16.tar.gz
- Login as root and create a directory “hbase”, Change the ownership of this directory to the hadoop user “hduser” and group “hadoop”. This is done mainly
for our convenience, to differentiate each framework, software and application with different users. Execute the following commands
cd /usr/local mkdir hbase chown -R hduser:hadoop /usr/local/hbase
- Copy the unzipped hbase binaries into /usr/local/hbase folder
mv hbase-0.94.16 /usr/local/hbase
- Start HBase by executing the following command.
./bin/start-hbase.sh starting Master, logging to logs/hbase-user-master-example.org.out
- Hbase is now set up and is ready for further use. HBase logs can be found in the logs subdirectory. Check them out especially if it seems HBase had trouble starting.
- Stop HBase by executing the following command.
./bin/stop-hbase.sh stopping hbase...............
Once the HBase server is started, it is ready to be used.
- Connect to HBase shell by executing the following command
./bin/hbase shell HBase Shell; enter 'help<RETURN>' for list of supported commands. Type "exit<RETURN>" to leave the HBase Shell Version 0.94.16, r1557241, Fri Jan 10 20:43:03 UTC 2014 hbase(main):001:0>
- Create a table named test with columns cf1 and cf2.
hbase(main):001:0> create 'test', ‘cf’ 0 row(s) in 2.4010 seconds
- Check if the table is created properly by executing the following command.
hbase(main):002:0> list 'test' TABLE test 1 row(s) in 0.0370 seconds
- Add data to the table by executing the following command.
hbase(main):004:0> put 'test', 'row1', 'cf:a', 'value1' 0 row(s) in 0.0560 seconds hbase(main):005:0> put 'test', 'row2', 'cf:b', 'value2 0 row(s) in 0.0370 seconds hbase(main):006:0> put 'test', 'row3', 'cf:c', 'value3' 0 row(s) in 0.0450 seconds
- Verify the data insert by running a scan of the table as follows
hbase(main):007:0> scan 'test' ROW COLUMN+CELL row1 column=cf:a, timestamp=1288380727188, value=value1 row2 column=cf:b, timestamp=1288380738440, value=value2 row3 column=cf:c, timestamp=1288380747365, value=value3 3 row(s) in 0.0590 seconds
- To get a single row from table, execute the following command
hbase(main):008:0> get 'test', 'row1' COLUMN CELL cf:a timestamp=1288380727188, value=value1 1 row(s) in 0.0400 seconds
- To exit from hbase shell, execute the following command